Charlton U18 6-0 Watford U18

Charlton’s title-winning U18s continued their domination of the league with a 6-0 victory over Watford at Sparrows Lane on Saturday.

Four goals in the first half sent the young Addicks on their way before adding another couple after the break as Hamza Serrar’s side extend their lead at the top to 20 points with a hugely-impressive and ever-growing goal difference of +45.

It took 20 minutes for the hosts to open the scoring and it came in some style from Matt Dench. Harvey Kedwell’s short-corner delivery landed at the feet of the Australian who took a touch on the edge of the box before rifling an unstoppable effort inside the right-hand upright.

The second came five minutes before the break and it was a gift from the Hornets. A sloppy back-pass was played straight into the path of Miles Leaburn who kept his cool to round the keeper and slot home.

The Addicks didn’t let up and bagged another two before the half-time whistle, first from the penalty spot after a shove in the box. Toby Bower stepped up and proved his dead-ball prowess once again, taking just one step before slamming his penalty into the top right-hand corner.

Then, just 14 seconds after Watford’s restart, they scored again. Wrestling back possession immediately, Charlton got straight down the left with Tolu Ladapo who crossed low for Chibike Okechukwu to finish from close range.

The Addicks continued to dominate after the break and were only denied more goals by some fine goalkeeping from the Watford stopper, before his second-half resistance was finally broken down with 20 minutes remaining when Sahid Kamara was slipped into the box to finish into the bottom left-hand corner for 5-0.

Watford did have a chance to reduce their arrears from the penalty spot after Nathan Asiimwe was adjudged to have committed a foul in the box, but the Hornets’ number 14 fluffed his lines by dragging his effort wide of the post.

Moments later, Charlton added their sixth as Leaburn secured his brace. Taking a neat touch in the box, he brushed off the attention of a yellow-shirted defender before twisting to send his shot into the back of the net from 12 yards.

It could well have been an even more impressive scoreline with the third penalty of the game awarded to the Addicks late on when Ladapo’s counter-attack was halted by a foul.

The wide man stepped up himself, but stroked his shot over the bar meaning his side would have to settle for a six-goal margin.

Serrar’s youngsters return to action with a trip to Colchester United on Tuesday as they look to stretch their uncatchable lead at the top and their unbeaten league run which now stands at 18 games since the opening day of the season.

Charlton U18s: Kone, Hobden, Asiimwe, Laqeretabua, Bower (Huke 75), Kedwell, Anderson (Kamara 66), Dench, Ladapo, Okechukwu (Reilly 60) Leaburn.

Sub (not used): Whitling.

Goals: Dench 20, Leaburn 40, 75, Bower (pen) 44, Okechukwu 45, Kamara 70

Photo: Tom West