Winslow United U18s 0 Charlton U18s 5 (FA Youth Cup)

Charlton’s U18s eased into the second round of the FA Youth Cup with a 5-0 victory over Winslow United at Elmfields Gate on Wednesday evening.

First-half strikes from Tyreece Campbell, Dylan Gavin and Aaron Henry put the young Addicks in full control before Gavin and Henry each added their second of the evening in the second period to provide a safe passage into the next round.

The hosts gave an excellent account of themselves in the early exchanges and very nearly took a shock lead when a low, dangerous cross was very nearly turned into the net for an own-goal.

Moments later, however, the young Addicks took the lead via route one. A long ball forward sent away Campbell, who sprung the offside trap and slotted home one-on-one.

The goal settled down the Londoners somewhat as they began to get a firmer foothold on proceedings. Skipper Richard Chin struck the post with an effort from distance on 23 minutes, while Henry fired narrowly wide shortly after.

With Charlton piling on the pressure, Gavin came close with a couple of efforts before finally etching his name on the scoresheet on the half-hour mark. An excellent, low ball in from Kai Garande on the left was stuck away by the striker thanks to a fine first-time finish.

With the clock counting down to half-time, the Addicks were dominant and added a third a minute before the break, through Henry, who stroked a calm finish home from close range.

Charlton remained comfortable after the restart as they sat on their three-goal lead. Henry drew an excellent save from Winslow stopper Kelan Plumbridge when his free-kick took a wicked deflection and looked to be heading in, while Charlie Ogle tested James Beadle in the Addicks’ goal at the other end.

But with 14 minutes remaining, Gavin put another nail in the hosts’ coffin, striking from inside the box after Winslow failed to deal with a corner, while Henry’s unstoppable effort into the top right-hand corner from the edge of the box in injury time put the icing on the cake.

The victory secures a trip to Gillingham in the second round, with the tie due to be played before November 21st.

Charlton U18s: J Beadle, Hobden, Barker (H Beadle 80), Elerewe, Garande, Agyemang (Appiah 64), Henry, Chin, Santos, Gavin, Campbell (Leaburn 69).

Subs (not used): Watkins, Adigun, Reilly, Kanu.

Goals: Campbell 13, Gavin 30, 76, Henry 44, 90+2

Winslow United U18s: Plumbridge, Hall, Barbar, Ianelli, Lawer (Gale 86), Musvaburi (Carter 75), Brown, Lawrence (Mayer 64), Ogle, T Khan, A Khan.

Subs (not used): Jones, Atat, Ashoalu, Mupungu.

Booked: Brown 83 (foul on Henry)

Referee: M Gospel

Attendance: 300

Photo: Kyle Andrews