Charlton U23s 2 Coventry City U23s 0

Josh Davison’s first-half brace ensured that Charlton U23s helped themselves to a 2-0 win against Coventry City on Monday afternoon

A fresh day in Dartford saw a tentative start from both sides as they tried to work each other, trialist Joao Fonseca displaying glimpses of quality early on with some determined play to nick the ball on several occasions.

Charles Clayden’s run on nine minutes ended with the game’s first decent chance. His work on the right allowed him to drill in a low cross which evaded any advancing Addick but an awkward clearance saw the ball cannon back goalwards forcing Tom Billson to be aware and make the save.

With just over 20 minutes played, Coventry went close when Charlie Wakefield was able to fizz in a cross from the right, Matt Godden pounced but saw his headed effort crash off the underside of the bar before a red shirt hooked it clear.

Charlton drew first blood on 22 minutes when Abraham Odoh was fed inside the area and took on a shot. A good initial save from Billson wasn’t cleared by the visitors’ defence and fell kindly to Davison who was able to poke home from close range. A deserved lead for the Addicks who had worked hard in the opening stages.

Four minutes later and that hard work would be rewarded once again when a smart run from Jay Mingi allowed him to slide the ball across goal to the advancing Davison who smashed home his second of the game.

After the break, the hosts continued to show why they were in the lead – Odoh was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet after he let fly from distance only to see his daisy-cutter effort whizz past the post.

Junior Quitirna was showcasing his ability with his feet and Coventry were becoming increasingly frustrated with his movements, committing a number of fouls on the midfielder leading to set-pieces which Charlton looked to kill off the game with, but the Sky Blues were doing enough to keep the margin at two.

Quitirna was then unlucky not to net the third when he was first to a loose ball and worked the space to let fly from the edge of the box. Billson was scrambling, but the effort was just a fraction wide.

Kenneth Yao then had the chance of the half to surely finish the game when he was able to get his effort underway from a rebound only to see his effort blocked on the line by substitute and teammate Kareem Isiaka in unfortunate circumstances.

Coventry would play the rest of the game with 10 men after Josh Eccles was sent off for a second-bookable offence with seven minutes to play.

The visitors would rattle the bar once more when Bouwe Bosma climbed highest to head the ball, but Charlton would maintain their clean sheet and see out the game professionally.

Charlton: Harness, Yao, Aidoo, Fonseca, Keefe, Mingi, Powell (Allsopp 87), Odoh, Davison (Dempsey 79), Quitirna, Clayden (Isiaka 65)

Subs (Not used): Harvey, Ocran

Goals: Davison 22, 26

Booked: Powell 54 (foul on Eccles), Yao 65 (time-wasting)

Photo: Kyle Andrews