Charlton U18s 1 Bristol City U18s 2

Charlton’s U18s fell to their first defeat of the season on Saturday as Bristol City walked away from Sparrows Lane with the points from a 2-1 win.

The young Addicks side have been in fine form this term and it took 13 games before they would taste their first loss, despite taking an early lead against the Robins.

With five minutes on the clock, some fine build-up play led to the hosts keeping possession for a large spell before Freddy Barton made a mazy run upfield before laying off to Jeremy Santos who, in turn, played the ball through for Richard Afrane Kesey.

The forward did brilliantly, taking a touch to take the ball beyond the stretching defender before slamming a left-footed effort past the goalkeeper.

Charlton held their slender lead until the 67th minute, despite the best efforts of stopper Nathan Harvey. The young custodian did brilliantly to somehow keep out an initial point-blank effort but could do nothing about the follow up which was slotted into the bottom left-hand corner.

And with eight minutes remaining, the visitors completed the turnaround. A Charlton goal-kick was headed straight back into the home side’s half and a simple flick on sent away their number 10. With Harvey advancing out of his box to try and snuff out the danger, the Robins forward rounded him and finished into an empty net to hit the Addicks with a late hammer blow.

The youngsters will look to dust themselves off and go again when they make the short trip to league-leaders Millwall on Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, Charlton’s FA Youth Cup third-round clash with West Ham United has been confirmed for Friday, December 13th (7pm) at the Chigwell Construction Stadium, the same night that the Addicks take on Hull City at The Valley in the Championship.

Charlton U18s: Harvey, Barton, Garande, Toure (Aidoo 81), Buhari, Albon, Agyemang, Chin, Santos (Campbell 84), Gavin (Thompson-Fearon 72), Afrane-Kesey.

Subs (not used): Beadle, Adigun.

Goal: Afrane-Kesey 5

Photo: Ben Peters