Charlton Women 1 Leicester City Women 1

Charlton Athletic Women were held to a 1-1 draw against Leicester City in the FA Women’s Championship on Sunday, November 17th.

A Charlie Devlin goal on the stroke of half-time and a 70th minute header by Leicester’s Lachente Paul saw the Addicks share the spoils with the Foxes.

Charlton dominated play in an injury-ridden first half, with most of the chances falling to the Addicks.

Grace Coombs was kicked in the face in the 15th minute by Paige Bailey-Gayle, who was booked. Lilli Maple was also booked for her reaction to the poor challenge.

Charlton’s forward line linked up well together, in the 17th minute Charlie Estcourt won a corner as her shot was deflected after an excellent Devlin cross.

Three minutes later Devlin powered down the right wing and cut the ball back to Lilli Maple, whose effort was tipped away for a corner by Scarlett Field.

Leicester had to make two substitutions in the first half due to injury. Annabel Blanchard came off on the half hour mark and Rachel Brown in the 42nd minute.

Charlton’s attacking persistence paid off on the stroke of half-time after some lovely build up play.

Devlin received the ball in the Charlton half and charged at Leicester, passing the ball out wide to Maddie Phillips who then crossed the ball into Devlin who slotted home to give the Addicks the lead at the break.

It was a more even contest in the second half, with Leicester pressuring the Addicks.

In the 50th minute, Paige Bailey-Gayle sent in a dangerous cross, but no Leicester player could get anything on it.

Five minutes later Grace Coombs excellently dispossessed Baily-Gayle, who would have been one-on-one with Katie Startup.

Some sloppy play from the Addicks in the 62nd minute gave Leicester a good chance, Bailey-Gayle was powering through on goal but some good back-tracking by Grace Coombs forced the forward to shoot wide.

In the 70th minute, Leicester got their equaliser in controversial circumstances. In the build up to the goal, Phillips looked to have been fouled by a Leicester player, but the referee waved play on.

Bailey-Gayle crossed the ball in and Paul nodded the ball in at the back post to make it level.

Both teams tried for a winner but neither could convert. In the 81st minute Devlin tried to latch on to a through ball, but Field was quick off her line to collect the ball before she could strike.

Charlton: Startup, Newborough, Phillips (Clifford 73), Coombs, Dorey, Devlin, Gotch, Estcourt, Griffiths, Maple (Legg 79), Heuchan (Wilson 86)

Subs not used: Salgado, Espinosa, Casley, Griffin

Yellow cards: Maple, Coombs

Attendance: 203