what is valley gold?
- Ticket priority for restricted away fixtures - members can buy two seats in the first priority, which can be in any price category
- 10% discount in the Nike Valley Superstore – and 15% on two selected Christmas shopping days!
- £15 season ticket discount
- Pin Badge
- 20% discount on Young Reds membership
- Two Valley Gold newsletters per year, and quarterly e-newsletters
- Valley Gold exclusive events i.e. Academy question & answer sessions
- Entry into under 18 and under 21 academy matches at the Valley (you must produce your membership card)
- Entry into a draw to win a place in our Valley Gold executive box for a game
how the money is used
Charlton Athletic FC’s Youth Academy is currently assessed as Category 2 and requires a substantial facilities development at Sparrows Lane in order to be considered for assessment as Category 1. Becoming a Category 1 club is important for recruiting and retaining the very best youth talent as it means they are playing week in/week out against, in theory, the better players at the top clubs (e.g. Arsenal/Chelsea/West Ham/Spurs). Category 1 clubs are also able to freely ‘scout’ lower category clubs. Average costs of running a Category 2 Youth Academy are £1.6m per annum. From a financial perspective this represents the 2nd biggest cost centre of the club; largest of course is the 1st team squad. This is a huge level of cost to support each year which is why the Football Club continues to be so grateful to Valley Gold members for its fundraising efforts.
An invaluable part of a player’s development, facing different styles, techniques and systems.
Donations funded a much needed additional branded mini-bus to transport quality young players from outside of the local area.
Valley Gold donations ensure all Youth Academy players are fully kitted to an excellent standard.
Donations help with significant nationwide travel requirements as part of the EPPP league and Cup programme.
YOUTH TEAM TO FIRST TEAM
It is well known that Charlton Athletic have one of the best youth academies in the country, nurturing the stars of the future.
Based at the club’s training ground in Sparrows Lane, the academy has benefited considerably from subscriptions made to Valley Gold over the years.
The youth system has brought numerous players through its ranks and into the first team – including current stars Chris Solly and Callum Harriott. Former academy graduates include the likes of England internationals Scott Parker and Paul Konchesky, plus defenders Richard Rufus and Carl Jenkinson, goalkeeper Rob Elliot and midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.